Happy New Year!
Its been one wild ride this year, and I feel extremely fortunate for all that has happened. I'll always remember 2013 as the year that I decided to start Finding Ferdinand. Only time will tell where this ship sails, but in the mean time, I'm having a blast with this entire experience.
For this blog entry, I wanted to do recap of the achievements so far, big or small, I think it's important to highlight these things. It'll help inspire me in 2014.
- I filed and became LEGIT
- Taking the first step is major, and sometimes you have to stop thinking about it and just do it!
- Set up the initial infrastructure for the business & secured contracts and materials
- I had a lot of fun going to different trade shows and meeting with a lot of different companies. I learned a lot during this month about pitching and negotiations along with supply chain management.
- Had fun in SF being with my friends and being part of the startup scene
- SF isn't the only startup scene, but when you're there, EVERYONE and their mamas are at a startup or at least wearing a t-shirt that says they're at a startup! Sometimes it's nice to be humbled by other's achievements because it adds perspective and keeps you grounded.
- Took a month long hiatus to Vietnam & unplugged to gain perspective
- This was planned in advance, and I made it a point to get to know my mom's family. I traveled around the country and made a lot of new friends, a few who are also starting new ventures there as well! (you know who you are and I wish you all the best!)
- Came back to NYC to hit the road running with our first selling event
- Lots of market research happening during this month where I learned who the exact demographic for Finding Ferdinand would be.
- Made friends with a lot of awesome fashion bloggers
- I've written about them before, Tanya, Jen, Kristen, Dylana, Natalie, all of whom are beautiful, fun, and intelligent.
- Rolled out in Chicago with the Randolph Holiday Market
- I'm based in NYC, but Chicago is pretty much my second home. I spend almost half of my time out there, and I love it! Sally Schwartz and her team are amazing, and I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity to work with them.
- Tapped The Steve Harvey show & had Steve named a few colors
- I'll write more about this, but had a blast going on TV and joking around with Steve about lipstick color names.
- Editor preview with Adore Me
- The peeps at Adore Me are amazing. I got a chance to hang out with their entire team and love this company! We did a partnership together for the spring preview, where all the magazine editors stopped in to look at the colorful Spring line and make a custom Finding Ferdinand.
- Participated with Horizon Media at their annual MKT
- Horizon Media wins one of the best places to work every year, and I can definitely see why. Great company and culture that cultivates a lot of creativity and innovation. My fabulous Sales Associate, Carolina Cerruto, repped the event and did an amazing job!
- Made the Chicago Beauty Report best products for 2013
- Earning a place next to other established brands always brings a smile to my face.
- Spent quality time in Texas with my family
- I'm in charge of my life, and it's up to me to make it a priority to create time for things that matter. I'm not the best at this, but I have a great family that constantly reminds me. I feel very fortunate to have their love and support.
This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but also the most fun I've ever had. I can honestly say that I have no regrets about the decision to use my savings to start this company. I could have had a lot of nice shoes, handbags, and even owned a home, but none of those things would have made me as happy as starting Finding Ferdinand.
Here's to many more adventures in 2014!